Thursday, April 05, 2007

"I like being your child."

After a morning of errands and in and out of the car, I was very glad to be home. We pulled into the driveway just in time for rest time, mommy's favorite part of the day! :) I unloaded groceries and kiddos from the car and while Gabs was taking her coat off, she said to me, "I like being your child." I smiled and gave her a hug....
Let me assure you that this beautiful "heart melting" phrase does not grace her lips too often. Not that she tells me she doesn't like being my child :), but as far as informing me so matter of factly, this was the first.
I had been preparing them all morning long, instructing the girls to behave and to obey FIRST time right away, since one of the errands was taking all four kiddos into a tiny room for an eye doctor appointment. They did wonderful, I was so pleased and told them on the drive home.
I am finding more and more that Gabs especially, needs LOTS of positive vocal encouragement and praise when she does something well....because she is very often the one not obeying, I have to really focus in on the times she IS :) So, as you have read, she was also happy with her choices for the day while we were out; she felt very loved and taken care of with my "tight" rein of instruction on her.
I have been really trying to take the time to thoroughly instruct her and use God's Word every time. I PRAISE Him for the fruit of what I saw today. By her happily telling me this, reassured me that my kiddos need to have constant and loving instruction. I know, I know, most of us KNOW this, but for me, it was God's way of showing me that He truly has given us instruction to teach our children all day long, in every opportunity...even eye appointments. :)
God has also shown me that I, myself am His child who needs to submit myself under His instruction of His Word to me. For when I obey Him, my heart WILL be full of love and I WILL state to Him, "I like being your child."
The outcome will be a mommy truly obeying God in training and instructing her kiddos.
THANK YOU Lord for teaching me with grace and clarity.
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Deuteronomy 6:5-7

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Such sweet moments!

I love how you always point things back to the Lord, even in some of the mundane events of life. Thank you.

Liz Ferguson said...

Thanks for sharing. I can so relate to this. The Lord has been teahching me some of the same things. I think it's so awesome how God uses our little ones to teach us and point us to Christ.

Paula said...

How wonderful. Don't we all do and feel better with praise and encouragement. The Lord is good to teach us in these sweet tender moments, like the doctors office.