I don't usually write very much due to lack of time and not wanting to be putting my blog before the needs of the household, but today I want to write a bit of what is on my heart.
Just today I attending a Moms group, I will withhold the name of it, and was very saddened by the "teaching" I sat under. As I looked around the room, there were about 30 moms there gathered together enjoying each others fellowship and snacking on breakfast yummies. This start to our time together did not sadden me, it was what was to follow. This group met in a church, a church that I would pray would want to be a Biblical and spiritual encouragement to moms...but yet, God's precious name and His Word was not mentioned ONCE! I find this very sad and a very wasted opportunity to share God's heart with moms who are gathered together, all in the same season of our mothering journey.
God has blessed us with His very Word and we should not handle what He says lightly. I believe God has clearly shown us His heart in regards to parenting and being a mother. He has made it clear in Proverbs 31 that the worth of a Godly woman, a woman that fears God and obeys Him, is FAR above jewels. Proverbs 31: 10-31 walks us through the description of a Godly woman. Verse after verse, God clearly shows us woman a beautiful example of servanthood and true love for her family. This Godly woman uses her precious hands to clothe her family, to reach out to the needy, to prepare all the needs of her family...she is a precious jewel and yet we often feel like we could never be as her...yet, I do believe we can! With God's help and power we can! Her children rise up and bless her, her husband praises her! In verse 11 it says that the heart of her husband trusts in her...verse 12 says that she does him good and not evil...verse 25, strength and dignity are her clothing, she smiles at the future...verse 26, she opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue...verse 27, she looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness...
As you have read and hopefully have read before, this woman is amazing and a tremedous Godly example to us woman. Let us embrace these truths in God's Word and LIVE them out in our lives! Through God alone, the power of His Word in our lives will we live out God's beautiful call on our lives!
At this group meeting, I got a feeling from many moms that they are tired and fed up with their "job", not once was being a wife and mother referred to as a high calling or a gift from God, this again saddened my heart, because I do believe that the gift of mothering IS a HIGH calling and a blessing from God. The duties of an older woman towards a younger are clear in Titus 2:3-5. Older woman of God are to be an example and teach from God's Word his instrution to us younger wives and mothers. Yet, I do not see that happen too often...after attending this Moms group, I walked away, glad to have had some time with other moms, but yet very empty in the area of Biblical instrution and encouragement!
"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own hubands, that the Word of God may not be dishonored" Titus 2:3-5
I firmly believe that my spiritual growth does NOT come from others and that I am to personally know my Heavenly Father through time in His Word, but when I read of what God has commanded of us wives and mothers and do not see it being taught, I have had to ask God what I am to do...I know that though I am young in my marriage and young in my mothering, I am still an "older" woman to some, so God has spoken to my heart to be the Godly example to those woman and young girls that likewise need to be instructed in God's Word.
I was created to be a helpmeet to my husband and for this, I am thankful and find complete satisfaction in who I am before the Lord. GOD has called me to this and I embrace it with my heart.
Then the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18
I am a created helper to my husband and a keeper of the home. I love that I am blessed with this high calling from God! I have been instructed to love my husband and love my children. Being a "worker at home" is an around the clock responsibility, yet many moms don't view it as a privilege, but yet a drag...my heart was broken as I listened to all the moms speak out about how much work being a mom is and how they have no identity due to the tasks and demands of them....though I know not all of the woman who where there may feel this way, the ones who were our "teachers" did not bring us God's Word, but yet just stirred up discontentment in our demanding "job"....it left me wanting to evaluate and dig into my heart in regards to who I am before the Lord and the attitude I live out...a good place to be.
I will end now and just state that I do believe God allowed me to attend this group meeting to open my own eyes to how I view my calling as a mommy and wife. Sitting there, God gave me a desire to get into God's Word and reclaim the PRIVILEGE and blessing of motherhood!
We are all on a journey planned and given to us from God. I mess up a lot in these areas and need God's grace to get me through each day, each decision, but I believe that is exactly where God wants me, resting and NEEDING Him every step of the way...
13 comments:
Thanks so much for writing this Liz. I completely agree, it is a privledge to be at home raising our children for him and making a house a home. I am so thankful to be at home. I have seen this same thing you are describing many times w/women of all ages. I do have times where I feel like "oh I wish I could go have a day to myself," but even when I get time to myself I can't wait to be w/my kids and husband again. This is definitely a HIGH calling and a wonderful one. Life is not about US.
Thanks again for sharing this.
Thank you for visiting my blog!
Liz~ Wonderful. Thank you for saying so. It is very easy to forget the privledge and blessings we have been given.
I also agree it is a HIGH CALLING.
I want to reccommend a few books by Elizabeth George (One of my favorites!)
A Wife After God's Own Heart
A Mom After God's Own Heart
A Woan's High Calling
All great books.
Maybe you can be the Titus woman for them. Bring that group around to spiritual encouragement. I know I NEED that.
Hello, I am not sure how I found your blog, but I am thankful I did. I wanted to thank you for your perspective on being a wife and Mom. I really appreciate it. So often I feel the world pulling at me to be more. My high calling as you have already stated is a wife and Mother. This is where I can bring the most glory to God. So once again thank you for sharing.
Thanks for taking the time to write that Liz. I agree too, and reading it was a great reminder to me that I do agree! You are a great encouragement to me, thanks for sharing:) Erin
Amen! I love what you wrote. We are so very privileged to be Mommy's. What a High Calling it is:)
Praise the Lord! It is a shame, though, that even "Christians" are starting to think like the world. They view Motherhood as a horrible punishment. I grew up wanting to be a mother more than anything else. I do not understand ladies in our world today. I already, in my short time of being a mom, know it has its challenging days but what a joy to look into the face of my little boy! Keep reading God's word and staying encouraged Liz, here soon you will have another wonderful little boy to take care of.
Liz, preach it! We all need to hear this. God has given you this insight and you need to keep sharing it. Too often we sit back and accept things when we truly need to CHANGE it. You are the kind of woman I need. You inspire me so much and I love you my sister.
Hi! I found your blog and was sooo suprised to read your most recent post...WOW,we are VERY like minded! In fact,I love the books you have listed as well....I appreciate your discernment with this MOMS meeting you attended. God's Word is so helpful and encouraging,why do people negect the feast? I know I need God's Word in my life ALL THE TIME....but esp in the area of learning to be a godly wife and mother...I'm so blessed with a church where the older women do teach the younger women. I know I need exhortation and biblical instruction to know how to live in this world.
Your blog is wonderful and I can't wait to read more. You are welcome to read mine at:www.lifesong-kim.blogspot.com or our family adoption website at www.myadoptionwebsite.com/lydia
I'm excited about all the new friends and like minded folks out there I have met blogging! And....I have only been doing it for a couple of weeks!
Kim
Hello Liz,
Of course I remember you! Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog! How exciting that you will soon have four little blessings! I am 'thinking' about you as your newest one's arrival will soon be here! I really enjoyed 'catching-up' with you by looking at your blog! Your children are absolutely beautiful and so blessed to have you as their mommy! Oh, and thanks so much for sharing your heart about 'motherhood'. Have you ever read the book, "Created to be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl? I just finished reading it, and it has been such a challenge and encouragement to me. When I read your latest blog entry, it sounded like a continuation to the book! :) I too am so thankful for the privilege of being a mommy and a help meet to my wonderful husband. By the way, be sure to tell Edwin that David and I say "hi". :)
Love ya,
Christy
Hi friend!
I read your post a little while ago and didn't have the chance to post...what can I say? You hit the nail on the head. I have come to see in my very short time back in the States that we, the stay at home motherhood, are the minority. All the more reason for us to cling tight to the WORD that gives us hope, wisdom and is our anchor of Truth when nothing seems stable or certain. Who else can we cling to but HIM? What God's Word says has to be at the core of all we are and do. Reading this was just a reminder to be to be 'the encourager' to moms around me...we need each other! I have never been happier than being at home with Alex and Chloe...I have also never been more challenged than I have while being at home. It is the greatest and hardest calling I have on my life! May we remember that we are first and foremost God's child, everything else is an outflow of His life in us! What I do does not define who I am...Who I am defines what I do and how I do it. If that makes sense! :) Liz, it's been a blessing to know you even if it is just by blogging. I think of you as a kindred spirit I didn't get to know face to face.
Loving the fact that God is BIG enough and so loving to draw anyone He wants together as friends so that they can bless each other,
Kari
you go girl, Give hugs to your little ones, I have been thinking about you lots . . . as the day draws near, how are you feeling?
Love ya, Bethy
Amen! That was wonderful, and I completely agree. Why didn't I get to know you better when I had a chance?
Preach it sista girl!
Really though, thanks for being so honest. It is nice to be reminded to see our children as gifts from the Lord and not another diaper to be changed! I am learning slowly to just TAKE TIME to enjoy my little blessings, and I never regret it when I do! Just think, after much sacrifice your children will rise up and call you blessed!! You are a great, great Mom and I'm glad to be your lil sister, looking up at you! Persevere!
Post a Comment